Woven Hand

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Woven Hand

Post by GoDogGo! »

Went to see a very small concert in Raleigh last night.

OMFG as they say on the Internet. David Eugene Edwards (formerly of 16 Horsepower), and an awesome drummer as backup. Just the two of them blew everyone away.

No bandoneon or banjo this time, just a couple of different guitars and a mandolin.

Incredible, scary intensity from DEE, tiny crowd, tiny venue. I started just *shuddering* about halfway through the set, but luckily I was able to choke back on my Southern Baptist upbringing so I didn't start speaking in tongues or get slain in the spirit.

If he's coming within striking distance, go see him. You won't be disappointed. Also the first two albums, the self-titled one and "Consider the Birds" are the most accessible. Also any album by 16HP, for that matter.

Kudos and thanks again to Seeahill for his many plugs of 16HP that got me listening.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Woven Hand

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I saw 16HP a long time ago in New Orleans with Morphine.

I don't remember a lot about it.

Topic author
GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Shaf wrote:I saw 16HP a long time ago in New Orleans with Morphine.

I don't remember a lot about it.
Damn, that would be a great lineup; I like both those groups. Of course, Mark Sandman is dead and 16HP is no more, but I'd be willing to say it was awesome.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I remember Morphine but not 16HP.

I've been meaning to pick up a few 16HP mp3s for a while.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Glad there's another 16 HP aficionado here.

And I'm happy to hear that David Eugene is as intense as ever.

Topic author
GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

seeahill wrote:Glad there's another 16 HP aficionado here.

And I'm happy to hear that David Eugene is as intense as ever.
Scary intense. He barely acknowledged that anyone else was in the room. I finally realized today that what we were seeing was not so much a "performance" as an act of worship that just happened to be public.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

GoDogGo! wrote:Went to see a very small concert in Raleigh last night.

OMFG as they say on the Internet. David Eugene Edwards (formerly of 16 Horsepower), and an awesome drummer as backup. Just the two of them blew everyone away.

No bandoneon or banjo this time, just a couple of different guitars and a mandolin.

Incredible, scary intensity from DEE, tiny crowd, tiny venue. I started just *shuddering* about halfway through the set, but luckily I was able to choke back on my Southern Baptist upbringing so I didn't start speaking in tongues or get slain in the spirit.

If he's coming within striking distance, go see him. You won't be disappointed. Also the first two albums, the self-titled one and "Consider the Birds" are the most accessible. Also any album by 16HP, for that matter.

Kudos and thanks again to Seeahill for his many plugs of 16HP that got me listening.
Thanks for letting me know! Where did you see them?

Topic author
GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Mickey O'neil wrote: Thanks for letting me know! Where did you see them?
Actually I would have if I had had warning, but this was literally last minute. We had already planned to go to dinner while my SIL watched the Boyz, and as we were getting ready I found a small notice in the Independent. We quickly adjusted the times with her and off we went. It was at the Pour House in Raleigh.

Apparently the opener "Whistlestop" had somehow persuaded DEE to come to this show, which was not originally on the Woven Hand tour. So it wasn't the whole gang, just DEE and a kickass drummer.

Whistlestop: not so hot. Very earnest, but it's hard to get past lyrics like "You gotta trust that Jew, he'll take care of you." I thought maybe they were talking about Doc Rowe...

Bad coda: we rolled in at about 12:30 AM, only to discover the Boyz sitting up with my SIL in bed, watching Boomerang. SCHOOL NIGHT WTF!!!

Did SHE have to get them up for school the next morning and count how many extra heads they sprouted? No, she did not. It'll be a cold day in hell before she babysits again.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Dawg turned me on to DEE a while a back, I've seen him 3 times since-- the band has improved each time. He's ok on CD, but amazing live.

Mick: He was coming up to Portland 2x a year, hopefully he's doing the same thing down there. His opening acts have always sucked though-- usually local Christian bands. The crowds are usually pretty cool too.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule