Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

XCOM: Enemy Within

Post by Texas Red »

On purchasing:
- I played it on pc, which made it a DLC. Console players will have to purchase it as a separate title (I think).

Good:
- More maps (thank god)
- Better AI
- More weapons, armor, etc. (I project my gear queer ways onto my soldiers, so this was nice)
- Expanded, international voice acting (My Italian goddess would say "Ciao, Ciao" when she capped an alien)
- More missions (The one in Newfoundland was a blast)
- Genetic mods (Great for snipers)
- MEC's (Bad-fucking-ass; Robocop meets Starship Troopers. I had a Canadian death machine that punched pesky chrysalids to oblivion)
- A new, antagonistic, human faction with units and tactics that mirror XCOM's; it's a nice change from the aliens

Bad:
- English accents are still North American (nitpicky, but English/Scottish/Irish accents would have been nice)
- The lack of systemically generated maps still bugs me - I grew up with the original, so I'll always be drawing comparisons
- A few bugs with clipping/line of fire showed up

Ugly:
- Ending is still lame as hell

Summary:
If you enjoyed Enemy Unknown, buy it. However, I'd hesitate to call it a day one purchase. Wait for the Steam sale.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: XCOM: Enemy Within

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

O U LIEK GAYMES?

Cool...I'm not into Xcom, but what else have you played lately?

Topic author
Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

Post by Texas Red »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:O U LIEK GAYMES?

- Skyrim(modded to fuckall)
- Fallout 3/New Vegas (also modded to fuckall)
- Mount and Blade (moderately modded)
- Total War games (though not Rome II, which is apparently a technical clusterfuck)
- Farcry 3 (Blood Dragon is the greatest DLC ever made)
- Other indie shit that goes on sale

The XCOM dlc was my first purchase in some time, actually. I tend to play a handful of games, but I wring every iota of content out of them with mods.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Bit of a kindred spirit...

I try not to think about how many hours I've spent playing Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas.

Far Cry 3 was absolutely wonderful. Haven't gotten Blood Dragon, but I heard it was magnificent and I'm a bit of a 80s-phile.

Currently using Diablo 3 to shut my brain off at night...mindless hack-and-slash games are a form of meditation, imo.

Topic author
Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

Post by Texas Red »

It's easy to sink 100+ hours into any of Bethesda/Obsidian's big titles, even without mods. They're a fantastic escape, no doubt about it. I just wish Bethesda would hurry up with Fallout 4.

Blood Dragon is one of those rare examples of smart developers being allowed to run wild with creative impulses and satire. It's magnificent.

Haven't played Diablo 3, but I agree about the hacking and slashing.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I'm playing the new CoD Ghosts and the on-line play is driving me insane...the lag compensation is ruining it for me. I understand what they're trying to do with on-line play but it isn't working very well.

Topic author
Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

Post by Texas Red »

Shapecharge wrote:I'm playing the new CoD Ghosts and the on-line play is driving me insane...the lag compensation is ruining it for me. I understand what they're trying to do with on-line play but it isn't working very well.
I haven't played much CoD (any of them), aside from matches with my nephews. They're addicted to that shit, though.

Lag blows, no question. If it's symptomatic of the game's design, that could be a major strike against the title.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I've played my share of COD, but I think I'm retiring from that series. I'm 43, and my reflexes aren't there to compete against 13yo smartasses who play 50 hours a week on top of using lag switches, beta blockers, piracetam, Ritalin, and Adderall.

The best time I've had with COD was playing split screen Black Ops 2 with my neighbor down the street who sucks worse than I do. Knife kills galore.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I reached level 17 on Asteroids
Don’t believe everything you think.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Texas Red wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:O U LIEK GAYMES?

- Skyrim(modded to fuckall)
- Fallout 3/New Vegas (also modded to fuckall)
- Mount and Blade (moderately modded)
- Total War games (though not Rome II, which is apparently a technical clusterfuck)
- Farcry 3 (Blood Dragon is the greatest DLC ever made)
- Other indie shit that goes on sale

The XCOM dlc was my first purchase in some time, actually. I tend to play a handful of games, but I wring every iota of content out of them with mods.
Get a job, looser
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Kaz, I'm about there myself with this game. I was playing last night while Mrs. Shape was making supper and I had a number of just outrageous lag deaths that had me in a fucking tailspin. I don't need this. I should be chillin'.

Topic author
Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

Post by Texas Red »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:13yo smartasses who play 50 hours a week on top of using lag switches, beta blockers, piracetam, Ritalin, and Adderall.
That would be my nephews. Twitchy little bastards steamroll me, though I can still hang with them in NCAA/Madden.
protobuilder wrote:Get a job, looser
Fuck that, I just don't sleep much. Never have, never will. Enjoy your duck-fucking reality TV or whatever the fuck else enriches your free time, looooooooser.
nafod wrote:I reached level 17 on Asteroids
Keep at it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Texas Red wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:13yo smartasses who play 50 hours a week on top of using lag switches, beta blockers, piracetam, Ritalin, and Adderall.
That would be my nephews. Twitchy little bastards steamroll me, though I can still hang with them in NCAA/Madden.
protobuilder wrote:Get a job, looser
Fuck that, I just don't sleep much. Never have, never will. Enjoy your duck-fucking reality TV or whatever the fuck else enriches your free time, looooooooser.
nafod wrote:I reached level 17 on Asteroids
Keep at it.
I peaked in 1982.

Topic author
Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

Post by Texas Red »

nafod wrote:I peaked in 1982.
That's roughly when I was born, so the same might be true of me.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Texas Red wrote:
I reached level 32 on your mom

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

nafod wrote:
Texas Red wrote:
I reached level 32 on your mom
Heh

Topic author
Texas Red
Lance Cpl.

Post by Texas Red »

nafod wrote: I reached level 32 on your mom
Impossible. I was a feral child. Wait a minute...

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

I play MMOs...

I win teh nerd crown.

Skyrim, I played a lot of. Never got very far in the story because I kept trying out new builds.
Far Cry 3, I really wanted to like, but it never held my attention for very long. I could see how well-made it was, like, it played really well, but it missed something for me. Haven't tried Blood Dragon, but will likely pick it up when Steam has it for pennies, inevitably.
The most recent shooty-type game that really grabbed me was Just Cause 2, because WHEEEEEEEEEEEE

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote:I'm playing the new CoD Ghosts and the on-line play is driving me insane...the lag compensation is ruining it for me. I understand what they're trying to do with on-line play but it isn't working very well.
How's the story play on the new CoD?

I more or less stopped playing multi-player during the peak Halo era. Being able to communicate through the headset was kind of scarring when I would hear some kid I was pretty sure couldn't have been more than 12 say shit that would make most around here cringe.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

baffled wrote:

I more or less stopped playing multi-player during the peak Halo era. Being able to communicate through the headset was kind of scarring when I would hear some kid I was pretty sure couldn't have been more than 12 say shit that would make most around here cringe.
What always killed me was the 20-something parent on the headset with every sentence "punk ass nigga this, bitch ass mufukka that" and you can hear his small children playing in the same room as he yells at his wife to bring him his goddamned turkey pot pie.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

baffled wrote: How's the story play on the new CoD?
OMG BAFFLED YOU ARE THE GAYEST QUEEREST DUDE ON HERE (AFTER NAFOD)!!!!!!!!!!

ITS A GAME WHERE YOU KLILL MOTHERFUCKERS NOT A DRAMA ON NBC!

I HATE THIS FOURM!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

protobuilder wrote:WOULD!!!!

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
baffled wrote:

What always killed me was the 20-something parent on the headset with every sentence "punk ass nigga this, bitch ass mufukka that" and you can hear his small children playing in the same room as he yells at his wife to bring him his goddamned turkey pot pie.
Seriously. It was kind of funny at first, then I realized how many people were extremely well qualified to post on IGx, and I got a little down on the whole Xbox Live thing.

And fuck you, proto.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Baff, I've only played the single player a little bit but it's impressive and the storyline is pretty out there. The "Ghosts" are remnants of a special operations group in the distant past that went on a classified mission that went horribly wrong. The story goes the last remaining operators facing overwhelming odds concealed themselves under the bodies of their fallen comrades. Covered in blood, and sand they rose up and ambushed their attackers and then disappeared. Hence the term "Ghosts." They do spend time on the storyline.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

DO THEY TRAIN IN TEH METHOD OF TEH WERWULF AUSGEKLUGELTER?!?!?!?