Sweet Home Chicago

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by Turdacious »

Shooting and homicides still high, prosecutors are using creative tactics to get long sentences, and the sentences are primarily impacting people of color. What should people make of this? What are Chicagoans making of this? https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/cri ... story.html
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

General thoughts, I have no idea what to do about kids who want to shoot other kids and post evidence on social media. It's pretty horrific and I would dread being a parent trying to raise a kid in Engelwood or Garfield Park. Shootings where I lived partly prompted a move to a safer part of the city.

Schools prompted a move to the burbs. Funding public schools based on the wealth, or lack thereof, of the surrounding neighborhood is a nightmare. You get people like me who like the city, and value racial/economic diversity, but won't send their kids to bad public schools. There are pockets with excellent public, magnet, and charter, schools, but property values there skyrocket, and managing commutes for magnet schools is challenging. In less desirable areas you get a housing tier for young families with pre-K kids, a tier for those who will shell out for private school, and a much lower tier for those who send their kids to public schools. You can make it work, but it's difficult. The system is self-reinforcing and middle class and up neighborhoods fund-raise aggressively, further increasing the disparity.

This extends further to hospitals. I recall a black pastor saying there wasn't a hospital within something like 5 miles of his neighborhood, and I scoffed. Chicago isn't that big. It was true.

All this extends to grocery stores, ease of commute, impacting how much time parents can spend with their kids.

It's important to not take the overall progress for granted, pre-1994 or so was a bad time to live all over the place in terms of violent crime. Still, this stuff is terrible. American cities are great places to live unless you're poor.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Sure let's not blame ghetto culture for shootings. Instead, it's all THE MAN.

motherjuggs&speed

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

Someone here was an EMT or something and mentioned how the rig gets looted for drugz all the time in the hood. Plus there's the safety issue. There are reasons for a lot of things and it doesn't all reduce to those gweedy selfish wacict whites.

Spells has done his required signalling to keep his social credit score up.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Sweet Home Chicago

Let's not let a society-wide sense of right and wrong get in the way of virtue signalling, nor should we hold our melanin-rich brothers to the high standard of 'personal responsibility', after all, it's a racist idea that someone is mostly in charge of their own actions

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Sweet Home Chicago

Hopefully next time there's an Antifa or Capitol riot or school shooting we can have a conversation about rampaging, murderous, entitled whites.

In the meantime, given poor black neighborhoods are primarily the victims of gang violence, not the perpetrators, I tend to draw a distinction between the bangers and the people around them. Gang membership represents a tiny fraction of the population. They're not handing out Glocks to every 14 year old.

But I'd like to hear from the other racists on this before firming up an opinion.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:20 pm Hopefully next time there's an Antifa or Capitol riot or school shooting we can have a conversation about rampaging, murderous, entitled whites.
Hey Karl Marx, the only person doing any killing on January 6th was the government.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Sweet Home Chicago

Once again, spells, you are ignoring the fact that the people victimizing poor, black neighborhoods are also the same people living in them.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by tough old man »

God Damn Chicago sucks!! Took the kids shopping downtown and didnt even get out of the car. Left and went to a suburban mall. Fuck the Democratic Illinois, that creepy thing they call mayor and the fat fuck who runs the state. And fuck the covid paranoid assholes too. I was hoping more of them betas would die off.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by Fat Cat »

tough old man wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:18 pm God Damn Chicago sucks!! Took the kids shopping downtown and didnt even get out of the car. Left and went to a suburban mall. Fuck the Democratic Illinois, that creepy thing they call mayor and the fat fuck who runs the state. And fuck the covid paranoid assholes too. I was hoping more of them betas would die off.
My man! Happy holidays TOM and keep on fishin'.

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Sweet Home Chicago

tough old man wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:18 pm God Damn Chicago sucks!! Took the kids shopping downtown and didnt even get out of the car. Left and went to a suburban mall. Fuck the Democratic Illinois, that creepy thing they call mayor and the fat fuck who runs the state. And fuck the covid paranoid assholes too. I was hoping more of them betas would die off.
Shit, TOM, really? I was going to spend a night in Chicago early January before coming back from holidays in Michigan, hitting the Shed Aquarium and maybe the Museum and do some shopping.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Sweet Home Chicago

Turdacious wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:22 pmLet’s get an expert opinion. https://blacklivesmatter.com/statement- ... aNycGzNB70
I'm not certain but it seems like the BLM crowd views that website as charlatan grafters. That Abdullah lady is a crank.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Sweet Home Chicago

Post by tough old man »

Shit, TOM, really? I was going to spend a night in Chicago early January before coming back from holidays in Michigan, hitting the Shed Aquarium and maybe the Museum and do some shopping.
We went to see Sebastian Manascalco at the united center. Had to have a vax card. But once inside all masks were off. That was an enjoyable experience. It was a big change from the week before. BUT we ate at the Chicago Diner (oldest vegan restaurant) and they were strict as hell, but the food is so good that we put up with it.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."