The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

POD
Gunny

Re: The couch thread

Post by POD »

First thing you’ll notice right off the bat is that TC just comes out and says he’s deleted a thread about Alan’s blog response, on the grounds that you can’t criticize the program without having seen it first.

Well, uh, actually, yeah, you can. Nobody that’s already been at it for 10+ years is putting on 20+ pounds of muscle in six weeks. It is not happening. It’s just not. No.

PRO-TIP: If you don’t want people to criticize your programs, don’t hype them up with bullshit claims.
From: http://www.ampedtraining.com/knowledge/ ... men-speak/
First thing you’ll notice right off the bat is that Lynne just comes out and says she’s deleted a thread about a reputable coach's blog response, on the grounds that you can’t criticize the program without having used it on your athletes first.

Well, uh, actually, yeah, you can. Nobody that’s already been at it for 10+ years is using a randomized, soccer-mom program to get their pro athletes to elite athletes in six weeks. It is not happening. It’s just not. No.

PRO-TIP: If you don’t want people to criticize your programs, don’t hype them up with bullshit claims.
No wonder T-Nation has been more friendly towards CrossFit lately. The similarities are scary.

Fish
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fish »

Dumb shit quote of the day:
I personally dont like the whole 3 pu and 3 dps sub they have for MU's. I subbed squat cleans.

First I am not certified and fully self thought.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Fish wrote:Dumb shit quote of the day:
I personally dont like the whole 3 pu and 3 dps sub they have for MU's. I subbed squat cleans.

First I am not certified and fully self thought.
Sounds reasonable. The person in the best position to pick a sub for a movement is a person who can't come close to doing even one rep of the movement. That's the obviously.

The article POD posted had a pretty good passage.
Once upon a time, and not even that long ago, I was more than willing to spread the hate for that kind of thing. Lately I’ve been mellowing out, because I just can’t be bothered to care. There’s a large mass of uninformed, uneducated, uncritical types – the “low information” population, if you will – that not only don’t care about the truth, but will actively resist being informed. Due to a strange kind of confirmation bias, we tend to believe what we want to believe and reject what we don’t.

Not just that, but these “low information” individuals also tend to highly overstate their own competence – known as the Dunning-Kruger effect. You literally wind up with a group of people that are too stupid to comprehend their own stupidity, and will get pissed off and defensive if you try to educate them. Explains a lot, really.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

"low information" and "Dunning-Kruger"

awesome references to apply to couch.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Wikipedia lulz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossFit
Greg Glassman, a former gymnast[citation needed],
=D> =D> =D>

So subtle, yet so great.

I think it's high time Wikipedia had an entry for Couch. Anyone of you creative types want to give this visionary a proper bio (and post it here before it's erased)?

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

http://www.louisvilleinfocus.com/Sports ... 8187_GuMHq

Enjoy laughing at the usual hellaciously bad form. I was glad my brother was here to watch this, it was a supreme teaching example of pulling early on cleans--well, doing everything wrong, actually. I think they must actually be teaching people there to tuck their ass when they squat.

The guy's DLs around 2:10 are quite something to watch.

Oh yeah, don't forget, @Fers are all about function over form, *cough*, and @F is better than any other natural BBing program out there sans AAS.
I am so psyched that there are now @F board shorts to truly complete my future douchebag Valmorphanization!

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

Jeezus, every time I watch one of those clips I feel I'm watching some special ed class learning how to exercise for the first time.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Kraj
Sgt. Major

Post by Kraj »

Re: The Louisville CrossFit videos above

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me or is there an actual Asian at Louisville CrossFit? Seeing an Asian in Kentucky is rarer than seeing Rant at an AA meeting.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Crust Bucket wrote:Jeezus, every time I watch one of those clips I feel I'm watching some special ed class learning how to exercise for the first time.
Or an Iraqi army PT session

I like the guy 3rd from the right

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evuhiuN2ooI[/youtube]
Don’t believe everything you think.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Resident Quack wrote:http://www.louisvilleinfocus.com/Sports ... 8187_GuMHq

Enjoy laughing at the usual hellaciously bad form. I was glad my brother was here to watch this, it was a supreme teaching example of pulling early on cleans--well, doing everything wrong, actually. I think they must actually be teaching people there to tuck their ass when they squat.

The guy's DLs around 2:10 are quite something to watch.

Oh yeah, don't forget, @Fers are all about function over form, *cough*, and @F is better than any other natural BBing program out there sans AAS.
I am so psyched that there are now @F board shorts to truly complete my future douchebag Valmorphanization!
My competition.......

If you want to see my classes look me up on YouTube or Facebook..
The big guy in the Forged Shirt is the same guy, Ben Carter, who was doing the HSPU in the coffee shop back during the Gaymes
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Kraj wrote:Re: The Louisville CrossFit videos above

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me or is there an actual Asian at Louisville CrossFit? Seeing an Asian in Kentucky is rarer than seeing Rant at an AA meeting.

There are a LOT of Asians here: Koreans, Vietnamese, CHinese, Japanese. Lots going to UofL Med school, there's the Toyota plant an hour away north of Lexington and they were brought in by the boatload in the late 70's early 80s.

What you didn't see were the mullets that are more prevalent here, especially this time of year with the state fair going on
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

Dave wrote:My competition.......

If you want to see my classes look me up on YouTube or Facebook..
The big guy in the Forged Shirt is the same guy, Ben Carter, who was doing the HSPU in the coffee shop back during the Gaymes
Please tell me you're blowing him out of the water. Save the last shred of my faith in humanity. Looking at those pictures, he has some real female talent in the house. Too bad he'll wreck their backs with that awesome form and turn them into CF she-beasts. I'd gladly wreck their backs with some proper sexual administration.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Dave wrote:What you didn't see were the mullets that are more prevalent here, especially this time of year with the state fair going on
I thought I was backwoods. I didn't know the state fair was cause for seasonal mulletry.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

JohnnyBadAss wrote: Looking at those pictures, he has some real female talent in the house. Too bad he'll wreck their backs with that awesome form and turn them into CF she-beasts. I'd gladly wreck their backs with some proper sexual administration.
This one is solid. She's strong and well-muscled, but my andro sensors aren't going off yet.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

nafod wrote:
Crust Bucket wrote:Jeezus, every time I watch one of those clips I feel I'm watching some special ed class learning how to exercise for the first time.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Dave

Post by Dave »

we do mostly kettlebell and bodyweight, some tire flipping & sledgehammer.
I also use Sonnon's joint mobility for warm-ups and his prasara stuff off the kb dvd for cool-downs for every class.
I've got some pretty hot ladies and none are andro bound

Dave

Post by Dave »

Gin Master wrote:
Dave wrote:What you didn't see were the mullets that are more prevalent here, especially this time of year with the state fair going on
I thought I was backwoods. I didn't know the state fair was cause for seasonal mulletry.
Louisville is the big city, every one from the sticks comes in town for the state fair.

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

Get your "Forged" gear here! And then take a gymnastics class from the guy that can't even teach a proper deadlift, probably the easiest movement in weight lifting.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Crust Bucket wrote:
nafod wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
That IS fucking hilarious. How in the hell do you not get jumping jacks right?

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

Gin Master wrote:
JohnnyBadAss wrote: Looking at those pictures, he has some real female talent in the house. Too bad he'll wreck their backs with that awesome form and turn them into CF she-beasts. I'd gladly wreck their backs with some proper sexual administration.
This one is solid. She's strong and well-muscled, but my andro sensors aren't going off yet.

I thought that until I saw these pictures of her.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Any boy with the nickname "Kat" has to love sucking cock and taking it up the ass.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote: That IS fucking hilarious. How in the hell do you not get jumping jacks right?
Sadly, this is exceedingly common even in no-@Fit territory. I have seen adults and youth "athletes" alike that have no clue how to perform a jumping jack.

JohnnyBadAss
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnnyBadAss »

The Bastard Son of the Shafman wrote:Any boy with the nickname "Kat" has to love sucking cock and taking it up the ass.
I'm betting Kat is a girl. Just a hunch.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Like Shaf I prefer to think that this "Kat" is an @Fitting homo of a dude.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

RyanH wrote:Image
He looks pretty ripped.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"