The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Jay

Re: The couch thread

Post by Jay »

ButterCupPowerRanch wrote:
The man in black wrote:Check out the conjugate CF article thread for a prime example of understanding the how of things and not understanding the why.
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63090&page=8
LOL at the guy with a 61kg squat who's "playing with band tension".
Do you know how many high school kids have asked me when I started to train them "do you use bands and chains"?

Its unreal.

Usually I answer, "no, you aren't strong enough yet, when you can squat 500# then we will talk"

Jay

Post by Jay »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Sadly, there is only one gym that fits that description around here.
You need a pilgrimage to the Pit, brother.... get off your ass and make a road trip in the spring.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

Ed Zachary wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I like to visit bigger gyms, but the shithole, hardcore, dusty, dungeon types are where I like to train, if I'm going to do it outside my home gym. The place I work out of is more like an open space than anything, so that's fine.
The sad thing is that most @fitters image of their Box is of a hardcore gym but most are too fucking scared to walk into a real one.

The only reason I don't buy my own shit is because I have a free membership. But should I ever build a house I've already planned for a gym that'd make any hardcore lifter proud.
This is my home setup. It's not hardcore, but it suits me well for my weekend work.
Attachments
home gym.jpg
home gym.jpg (207.99 KiB) Viewed 6130 times

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Gin Master wrote:
This is my home setup. It's not hardcore, but it suits me well for my weekend work.
What are the three blue things stacked up? A podium perhaps? Upon which you stand and declare yourself ELEET after your daily WODs?

Cause that's what I do . . . on my aerobic step with extra risers. I sometimes give myself a medal.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

syaigh wrote:
Gin Master wrote:
What are the three blue things stacked up? A podium perhaps? Upon which you stand and declare yourself ELEET after your daily WODs?

Cause that's what I do . . . on my aerobic step with extra risers. I sometimes give myself a medal.
Haha. Yes. You can't have a proper WOD without declaring yourself the winner.

Those are stackable foam plyo boxes. They have a large surface area for landing (or falling on if you don't make it). The foam is sturdy enough to land on but soft enough to not hurt you when you miss. They're pretty cool.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Ash Uber Alles wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Sadly, there is only one gym that fits that description around here.
You need a pilgrimage to the Pit, brother.... get off your ass and make a road trip in the spring.

go west young man....

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

clutch

Post by clutch »

On your way to the pit, you'll drive through Helltown, OH.

Stop off here.
DSC_0159-Edit.jpg
DSC_0159-Edit.jpg (121.48 KiB) Viewed 7101 times

Jay

Post by Jay »

BobW wrote:On your way to the pit, you'll drive through Helltown, OH.

Stop off here.
DSC_0159-Edit.jpg
speaking of which, when the fuck are you going to come up to our place, Bob? I'll hook you up with a couple good training partners for the day that are competitive strongmen and have some fun.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Shit yeah on both. This is where I lift if I don't lift at home. About 2-3x a year. At one time I was going to buy it, but a brain tumor had other plans.

I really want a pic of Larkin's Gym in 3 Rivers. It's time I sack up and go and visit the godfather of grip.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads »

Damn, I need an atlas stone. I wonder when the official Reebok/@Fit gyms will come into full swing, will there be Reebok Atlas Stone on the market? Makes ya think.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

crossfit already has a line of atlas stones.

el33t atlas products
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

sanchezero wrote:crossfit already has a line of atlas stones.

el33t atlas products
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Tantum validus superstes

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

@Fers love to talk about how they would "rock" Ninja Warrior. Well, they have an American version now (even sponsored by Reebok!).

Here's how they fared:
http://www.crossfitmarin.com/blog/?p=3929
The competition took place back in August at Venice Beach and although we had Roger, Tomio, Jill, and myself qualify for the try-out run, only I was able to go due to scheduling conflicts for our other athletes. As many of you know, I did well, but didn’t quite make it into the top 30 for the 2nd day’s competition (due to an injury, mainly), but as an alternate for the 2nd day, I got to hang out on the set waiting to see if someone wasn’t going to be able to compete so I could sub in for them. Obviously, I would have completely ignored my knee injury and rocked the course had I gotten another shot!
Couldn't make it due to schedule (3 guys couldn't get time off for a TV op?), injured (another DNF), and not anyone in the top 30. @F ROCKS!!1!1!!

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Yeah. Ferriss should have consulted the couch thread before anything else, that's for sure. LULZ!

CultBuster
Staff Sergeant

Post by CultBuster »

AlexaDickersonBarbadosPullupsPostMarathon.jpg
AlexaDickersonBarbadosPullupsPostMarathon.jpg (341.86 KiB) Viewed 6765 times
They finally got it right on main page

clutch

Post by clutch »

Ash Uber Alles wrote: speaking of which, when the fuck are you going to come up to our place, Bob? I'll hook you up with a couple good training partners for the day that are competitive strongmen and have some fun.
Heh. the problem is that when I walk out to the car, I walk through my gym.

then the little voices, which sound remarkably like my wife, start screaming " you paid how much for that power rack, and you're going to train somewhere else?"

this time of year is worse, because the little voices toss in the reminder that their car is parked outside overnight courtesy of my gym, and they have to clean off snow.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

BobW wrote:
Ash Uber Alles wrote: speaking of which, when the fuck are you going to come up to our place, Bob? I'll hook you up with a couple good training partners for the day that are competitive strongmen and have some fun.
Heh. the problem is that when I walk out to the car, I walk through my gym.

then the little voices, which sound remarkably like my wife, start screaming " you paid how much for that power rack, and you're going to train somewhere else?"

this time of year is worse, because the little voices toss in the reminder that their car is parked outside overnight courtesy of my gym, and they have to clean off snow.
LMFAO

You've got good wife Bob or maybe it's just a guilty conscience.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

friedquads wrote:Damn, I need an atlas stone. I wonder when the official Reebok/@Fit gyms will come into full swing, will there be Reebok Atlas Stone on the market? Makes ya think.
Yep. Before you know it, @Fers will be lapping and loading Braemar stones.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Gin Master wrote:
friedquads wrote:Damn, I need an atlas stone. I wonder when the official Reebok/@Fit gyms will come into full swing, will there be Reebok Atlas Stone on the market? Makes ya think.
Yep. Before you know it, @Fers will be lapping and loading Braemar stones.
Bwahahahaha

Not only lapping and loading but bragging about it.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

to be fair, the ones loading the biggest stones, like bigger than their own bodyweight will be the broads. And TEAM GORILLA will have exclusive pics and video.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Dazed

Post by Dazed »

BobW wrote:this time of year is worse, because the little voices toss in the reminder that their car is parked outside overnight courtesy of my gym, and they have to clean off snow.
How true, although down here its the monsoon type rains during the summer.
She's a good girl though, never quips about my spending money on shit for the garage.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

tzg
Gunny

Post by tzg »

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthrea ... 456&page=2 Note to rhabdo apologists: you're right, most of us wouldn't have heard of rhabdomyolysis if not for CF. However, this is not a good thing. Most effective exercise programs don't have rhabdomyolysis as a risk.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master »

tzg wrote:http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthrea ... 456&page=2 Note to rhabdo apologists: you're right, most of us wouldn't have heard of rhabdomyolysis if not for CF. However, this is not a good thing. Most effective exercise programs don't have rhabdomyolysis as a risk.
@Fer wrote:Nobody has challenged my assertion that CF has been good for rhabdo awareness and not a primary cause.
When you recklessly start the house fire you don't get credit for putting it out.

If not for Hitler et al, we wouldn't have "holocaust" or "genocide" in the daily lexicon, either.
Last edited by Gin Master on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

WildGorillaMan wrote:to be fair, the ones loading the biggest stones, like bigger than their own bodyweight will be the broads. And TEAM GORILLA will have exclusive pics and video.
I certainly hope the video includes this sensational piece of ass....

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

tzg wrote: Note to rhabdo apologists: you're right, most of us wouldn't have heard of rhabdomyolysis if not for CF.
And I suppose we wouldn't have heard of lynchings if not for the KKK?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"