The Wolverine

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Yes I Have Balls

Re: The Wolverine

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Complete and utter dogshit. Would have been better served by just sticking with the original Japan story arc by Claremont and Miller,
This. I've recently reread most of the Miller/Claremont stuff and found is just as good now as I did when it came out. Mystifies the shit out of me how Hollywood continues to fuck up movie-from-comic adaptations when the damn material IS RIGHT THERE.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:
Kazuya Mishima wrote:Complete and utter dogshit. Would have been better served by just sticking with the original Japan story arc by Claremont and Miller,
This. I've recently reread most of the Miller/Claremont stuff and found is just as good now as I did when it came out. Mystifies the shit out of me how Hollywood continues to fuck up movie-from-comic adaptations when the damn material IS RIGHT THERE.

Same here...I kindled the old Claremont/Miller 4-part miniseries with the follow-up issues that carried over into X-men, and it was less than $6. The originals are tucked away in my folks's attic, or something. Anyway, pretty much just as good and satisfying as when I read them as a young man. They should have kept the budget low, and just made a hard-R version of the original story replete with severed limbs and Yukio getting banged. The Japan arc reminds me a lot of Black Rain...in fact, it was kind of like Black Rain before there was Black Rain...ultra gritty noir story featuring a western anti-hero clashing with Japan's culture as much as the antagonists. Yeah, they fucked it up...unforgiveable.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I still say it was awesome.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

protobuilder wrote:I still say it was awesome.
You haven't read every comic book in the serious and have never dressed up as your favorite smurf at your favorite con so obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I went to college instead.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Watched it yesterday. Movie was boring as hell.

I will go so far as to say the better parts of the first shitty Wolverine movie make it a better movie than this one despite all the terrible parts.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

WildGorillaMan wrote:I respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague Mr Furman.
Daken, X-23 and a bunch of other cardboard cutout would-be badasses are all lame, derivative attempts to hit the same vein of gold that Miller uncovered with his 80s Wolverine mini-series. That series made Logan explode in the brains of all us teenage comic nerds back then...
That's backwards. Claremont & Byrne hit the vein of gold in the late 70s / early 80s. The Claremont/Miller limited series didn't appear until about two years after the "Days of Future Past" storyline. By that time we'd already seen the revelation that Wolverine didn't wear the claws, they were part of him (in the first Sentinels storyline, drawn by Cockrum); Wolverine killing the guard in the Savage Land offscreen, while we watched Ororo's stunned reaction (drawn by Byrne); W's affair with Mariko; his psychoanalysis of Colossus on that press machine in the Danger Room; his stalking of the deer and then his capture by Alpha Flight; "Wolverine Alone!" at the Hellfire Club; his love for Jean when the Phoenix stuff happened; his episode in the Watcher's home on the moon; his switch to mourning colors on his uniform after Jean's death; his taking Kitty Pryde under his wing. Concurrent with the limited series was Wolverine's awesome solo first-person-narrated adventure alone on the Brood planet.

All that stuff ignited the popularity that led Marvel to experiment with Wolverine in his first limited series, written by Claremont / drawn by Miller. Miller contributed some arresting and unforgettable images; but Wolverine was already the most popular Marvel character who didn't have his own book, and probably in Marvel's top 3 overall. The Claremont/Miller series was more a case of emphatically delivering on high expectations, than of creating a base of popularity for the character.

Wolverine had already exploded in the brains of us teenage comic nerds, before the limited series.

I completely agree that there are a ton of cardboard cutout would-be badass imitators. I also think most of what they've done to embellish / capitalize on Wolverine's story in the past ~20 years has been pretty stupid.

--------------------------
Edit: drawn by Miller, of course.
Last edited by JimZipCode on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

JimZipCode wrote: Claremont & Byrne hit the vein of gold in the late 70s / early 80s. The Claremont/Miller limited series didn't appear until about two years after the "Days of Future Past" storyline. By that time we'd already seen the revelation that Wolverine didn't wear the claws, they were part of him (in the first Sentinels storyline, drawn by Cockrum); Wolverine killing the guard in the Savage Land offscreen, while we watched Ororo's stunned reaction (drawn by Byrne); W's affair with Mariko; his psychoanalysis of Colossus on that press machine in the Danger Room; his stalking of the deer and then his capture by Alpha Flight; "Wolverine Alone!" at the Hellfire Club; his love for Jean when the Phoenix stuff happened; his episode in the Watcher's home on the moon; his switch to mourning colors on his uniform after Jean's death; his taking Kitty Pryde under his wing. Concurrent with the limited series was Wolverine's awesome solo first-person-narrated adventure alone on the Brood planet.
Get help.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

protobuilder wrote:
JimZipCode wrote: Claremont & Byrne hit the vein of gold in the late 70s / early 80s. The Claremont/Miller limited series didn't appear until about two years after the "Days of Future Past" storyline. By that time we'd already seen the revelation that Wolverine didn't wear the claws, they were part of him (in the first Sentinels storyline, drawn by Cockrum); Wolverine killing the guard in the Savage Land offscreen, while we watched Ororo's stunned reaction (drawn by Byrne); W's affair with Mariko; his psychoanalysis of Colossus on that press machine in the Danger Room; his stalking of the deer and then his capture by Alpha Flight; "Wolverine Alone!" at the Hellfire Club; his love for Jean when the Phoenix stuff happened; his episode in the Watcher's home on the moon; his switch to mourning colors on his uniform after Jean's death; his taking Kitty Pryde under his wing. Concurrent with the limited series was Wolverine's awesome solo first-person-narrated adventure alone on the Brood planet.
Get help.
=D> Literally, LOL. Thank you Proto !