Breaking Bad - Final Season *Spoilers*

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Breaking Bad - Final Season *Spoilers*

Post by DARTH »

Walt frees Jessie.

Walt kills self with Ricin, he has been convicted of nothing and Sky will get the money.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

DARTH wrote:Walt frees Jessie.

Walt kills self with Ricin, he has been convicted of nothing and Sky will get the money.

That works. Nazi's get killed in the "liberation" of Jesse ?

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Cayenne wrote:(I'm already planning, to re-watch the series in the years to come, probably from my Concept 2 ergometer. I'm sure I'll see so many fine details in the re-watching, because it is a masterpiece.)
I did this a few months back. The progression really is amazingly good.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Cayenne wrote:

That works. Nazi's get killed in the "liberation" of Jesse ?
That M-60 says Nazi's get mowed!

milosz

Post by milosz »

Walt dying doesn't stop anything regarding the money. Civil forfeiture, she'd lose it all.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

She might physically get the money, ala Jesse holds the cash after Walt and him kill the Nazis and Walt kills himself.

He's dead on his feet already.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Milosz...not doubting you, just trying to understand...why would the money be forfeited? Has it been tied conclusively to any criminal activity? I suspect the IRS could claim massive tax violations as well as take a huge bite out of it. Further on that, I guess Walt could be guilty of tax evasion but, as Darth pointed out, he'd be dead. Skyler might be guilty along with him on tax stuff, but I don't know how much an "innocent spouse" defense would help. (Better call Saul)

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Cayenne wrote:Milosz...not doubting you, just trying to understand...why would the money be forfeited? Has it been tied conclusively to any criminal activity? I suspect the IRS could claim massive tax violations as well as take a huge bite out of it. Further on that, I guess Walt could be guilty of tax evasion but, as Darth pointed out, he'd be dead. Skyler might be guilty along with him on tax stuff, but I don't know how much an "innocent spouse" defense would help. (Better call Saul)

Remember Walt's real money is in the form of cash in barrels. I'm saying she will physically end up with it. I bet Jesse gives it to her after Walt frees him, they kill the Nazis and Walt offs himself to clear the family of him lingering around while the legal system does it's thing to him.

And you can;t call Saul, he;s working at a Dairy Queen in the midwest now.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Cayenne wrote:Milosz...not doubting you, just trying to understand...why would the money be forfeited? Has it been tied conclusively to any criminal activity? I suspect the IRS could claim massive tax violations as well as take a huge bite out of it. Further on that, I guess Walt could be guilty of tax evasion but, as Darth pointed out, he'd be dead. Skyler might be guilty along with him on tax stuff, but I don't know how much an "innocent spouse" defense would help. (Better call Saul)
Civil forefeiture doesn't place a strong burden of proof on the state to keep the money - if they seize your assets, you have to prove that they've been lawfully gained.

The New Yorker had a great article on the misadventures of civil forfeiture a few weeks ago.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

DARTH wrote:
Cayenne wrote:... And you can;t call Saul, he;s working at a Dairy Queen in the midwest now.

Yeah, I knew that, I was just kinda throwing it out there. However, while we're discussing Saul, (in some interview somewhere, with one of the producer/writers, there was discussion of whether Saul would be killed, - I guess it's still possible he will be- and the guy said that they saw Saul as (I paraphrase) the cockroach that survives the Apocalypse." Funny, that character "survives" the end of BB by getting his own show. A prequel.)

Anyway, I don't really get why Saul had to "disappear." How was he going to be tied to Walt, etc. ?

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

milosz wrote:
Civil forefeiture doesn't place a strong burden of proof on the state to keep the money - if they seize your assets, you have to prove that they've been lawfully gained.

The New Yorker had a great article on the misadventures of civil forfeiture a few weeks ago.

I may have to see if I can find that article online. So, if someone has a ton-o-money, the gov gets to grab it and the burden of proving legality shifts to the citizen? Is that how that works? I can see it though, if you have barrels of money and your life time tax returns can't explain it, well, you better explain it, or goodbye dough.

Almost makes a guy want to "Break Bad."

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Cayenne wrote:So, if someone has a ton-o-money, the gov gets to grab it and the burden of proving legality shifts to the citizen?
The government decided long ago that law enforcement (from Mayberry PD to the FBI) can take any property that is suspected of having been involved in a crime. Why? Because they hate us for our freedoms. Occasionally, a judge will the order the return of property in cases where law enforcement was even more out of line that usual, but chances are that the property owners are ruined by the time they "win".

Anyway, back to the show, I don't see Walter's old partner from Gray Matter living unless he's forced to funnel money to Walt's kids. And I don't think he's interested in rescuing Jesse.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/29/ ... le-is-here

If you scroll down a paragraph or two there's a video with some funny and believable predictions for the finale.

Glad you liked the link, Cayenne.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Pretty close Darth, pretty close.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Good ending!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Pinky wrote:
Cayenne wrote: Anyway, back to the show, I don't see Walter's old partner from Gray Matter living unless he's forced to funnel money to Walt's kids. And I don't think he's interested in rescuing Jesse.

Pretty close there as well.

Loved how that was done.

Darth approves.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

That's how a series is supposed to end.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Walt righted the ones he had wronged.
Killed the 'bad guys'.
Got killed, showing crime doesn't pay in the end.
Something for everyone.

I was surprised Lem didn't turn up in the last episode and get killed.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Gav wrote:Walt righted the ones he had wronged.
Killed the 'bad guys'.
Got killed, showing crime doesn't pay in the end.
Something for everyone.

Ultimately, Walt was kind of a (tragic) super-hero. He eventually outsmarted and beat EVERYONE who opposed him, except Death. ( "You two guys are just guys. OK. Mr. White – he's the devil. He is smarter than you, he is luckier than you. Whatever you think is supposed to happen, I'm telling you, the exact, reverse opposite of that is going to happen.") His tragic flaw, (At least what I think it is right now, because unlike the fluff that you forget a moment after you watch it, this stuff is like Shakespeare and can make you think for a very, very long time,) was his choice of the arena in which to exercise his massive talent and ability.

I never really understood why things didn't work with Gray Matter and why he "settled" for being a HS teacher. However, if he was able to "play" at that level, and it gnawed at him eternally that he didn't "get his due" than why didn't he get back in the ring?

When Jobs was booted from Apple, he didn't start teaching HS computer classes.

Anyway, I'm being silly because the story line is a huge part of what made this a great story. I'm being like the guy in the movie theater who shouts "Duck" when the hero is being shot at, probably dealing with the end of my all time favorite show.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Gav wrote:...Got killed, showing crime doesn't pay in the end.
Something for everyone.

But he did work it out to leave almost $10M to his son after his (Walt's) death. That was his initial goal. (When he was "doing it all for the family" and b/f his revelation to Skyler that he did it for himself.) So, while I do get your point and agree that was the message, crime did pay pretty well.

I was jogging at the shore yesterday and saw an old dude with a metal detector searching, I guess, for change and lost jewelry. Imagine coming across the Nazi's cut of the money ?

Gav, who is "Lem" ?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Watched my first episode ever last night. Can't wait for next season!
Don’t believe everything you think.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Am I the only one sporting blue steel for Anna Gunn?

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

DO NOT READ if you have not seen the entire series.

Watched the last episode last night and the final commentary this morning. Netflix
has been worth it.

I lot of you guys were pretty good at guessing how it would all play out.

Kaz I felt the same way about Anna Gunn in the beginning. Lost my woody when she
became a self righteous bitch around the middle of the series. The Scottish girl was
the main wood producer towards the end of the series.

I would have changed only one thing in the series. That shoot out in which Hank and
his partner were killed was amateurish as many of you have mentioned.

Best show since Deadwood for me. :supz:
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."