Mayweather vs McGregor

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Mayweather vs McGregor

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:21 am Maybe I'm missing something, but I am not sure people are factoring in the degree of mismatch this is. He will likely accumulate several times the amount of head trauma in this bout than he would fighting another 6 years in the UFC. Roy Jones beat a lot of good boxers into a fucking pulp in the 90's, and Floyd will have a much, much easier time. Refs and corners do not always step in, especially in huge bouts.

$100M to be a mush-mouthed potato with increased risk of Parkinson's is not a good trade when you have another route to a shitload of money.
He's only really taken six and a half rounds of damage in his career so far. Worst case he merely triples the amount.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Do you guys really think the players are calculating head trauma minutes here??

It's combat sports, dick swinging and CASH.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

SubClaw wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:39 pm
Kenny X wrote:There is nobody on this earth I wouldn't fight for 50 million dollars.
Are you REALLY sure about that?

I wouldn't pay that much to fight her but, yeah.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

The good thing about this one is its only a couple months away. They had to have the fight before GGG/Canelo to maximize buys. So none of this waiting for 8 months bullshit

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Decent fight. More competitive than I expected. Interesting contrast of styles. Worth watching.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

Conner was - is a tough SOB but his months of specific boxing training was no match for Mayweather's decades of same.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Great job by both guys

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

It was worth watching and the potato impressed me. But Floyd won every round easily and I don't think he was cleanly hit one time. McGregor is a tough dude who got a thorough beatdown. The last 4 rounds were just lololol

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

bennyonesix wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 pmFloyd won every round easily
Floyd won every LATE round easily. Mac won the first couplefew rounds. Then ran out of steam / got figured out / lost.

I'd never watched Floyd box before. From what I read, that's been his MO his whole career? Be defensive and methodical in the beginning, wear down and exploit the opponent in the middle / late rounds? Interesting to watch.

Seems to me Mac "won" the night, in the sense of looking like a competitive fighter. He got his payday; but he might also have gotten the chance to get on future cards. If he's interested.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

The rule which few know is effective aggression and defense is part of ring generalship. And McGregor was completely ineffective: his punches were wild and didn't land clean. And Mayweather was in complete control: avoiding clean shots and countering effectively once or twice all the while timing McGregor and establishing distance.

And hell yes this is what Mayweather does. Everytime. He takes as little risk as possible and just dissects opponents and completely solves them by the end.

It is the sweet science.

EDIT

And if they fought again it would be round 4 on from the get go.
Last edited by bennyonesix on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Floyd's 40, hasn't fought in two years, the fight was fought with non-standard gloves, Floyd had money on when he would get the stoppage, and Conor was a junior middleweight while Floyd was a welterweight who didn't really try to make weight.

I doubt Conor will box again soon. The only guys around his weight level that would sell enough tickets to justify the fight (GGG and Canelo) have much heavier hands than Floyd.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

bennyonesix wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:12 pmThe rule which few know is effective aggression and defense is part of ring generalship.
Nearly every major boxing broadcast mentions this. Harold Lederman says it in so much the exact same tone every time he says it, that I suspect it's a recording.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

The show was on par with Dancing With The Stars, nowhere near the hype in the weeks before. Seems the new line of sporting event marketing is in contrast to the idea of sportsmanship and respect taught for decades. Insulting each other, waving wads of money, screaming in each other faces - how many of you would want to be associated with someone like this? Unless money excuses everything.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Bad Lip Reading of the Mayweather/Macgregor pressor. Pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7KPoS0HGs
Don’t believe everything you think.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Did not watch or care.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:28 am connor has 4 fights left w/ UFC and Dana aint letting him outta that. no reason to ever go back to UFC after a $50 mln payday.
See /\ /\ /\
I knew it would happen all along!

The rabbit punches and strategic positioning to Floyd's back were frustrating to watch. Only Malinaggi called this, whoever the other commentator was kept talking about mayweather turning his back. Macgregor was landing a few flicky jabs but they were doing nothing. At one point mayweather just took one on the forehead and smiled.

I am surprised at the amount of people online saying that the fight was called early... I think that referee probably saved macgregor from some serious brain trauma since it would have been another round or two of mashing his brain around without a single blow hard enough to end the fight.

Macgegor looked like a fuckin giant next to mayweather.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Stoppages in boxing are a little quicker. That wasn't a fast stoppage by boxing standards. He was unable to stop any punches from connecting and was getting teed off on.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Maybe the biggest question is what happens with the UFC. McGregor really only has one big fight on the horizon that excites anybody (Nate); with Khabib gone for the foreseeable future, every other figher in his weight class is a free TV fighter in the co-main at best. Jones is probably done, Bisping is injured, and Nick Diaz is Nick Diaz-- what other draws do they have that are willing to fight for what Dana's offering?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:22 am Stoppages in boxing are a little quicker. That wasn't a fast stoppage by boxing standards. He was unable to stop any punches from connecting and was getting teed off on.
I don't think there should be any doubt about this stoppage. McGregor pretty much turned into a punching bag for the last 10 seconds or so.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:11 amThe rabbit punches and strategic positioning to Floyd's back were frustrating to watch. Only Malinaggi called this, whoever the other commentator was kept talking about mayweather turning his back.
I doubt MacG could help doing that. He trained for years to develop the reflexes to get in those positions, for his MMA stuff. Would take a long time to un-learn, and would fuck him for MMA before he has maybe made a final decision on that career.

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:11 amI am surprised at the amount of people online saying that the fight was called early. I think that referee probably saved macgregor from some serious brain trauma since it would have been another round or two of mashing his brain around without a single blow hard enough to end the fight.
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:22 amThat wasn't a fast stoppage by boxing standards. He was unable to stop any punches from connecting and was getting teed off on.
I thought it was stopped "early", but only by about 5 or 10 seconds. MacG had stopped defending himself, and was about to get knocked out. I might have given it one more exchange, one or two more flurries. But not much more than that.