The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Greg's brain when contemplating a response to criticism:
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Bram wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:02 pm
Re-reading Glassman's response is even more disappointing after finishing Alyssa's long letter.

It's not a lot to offer some measure of empathy. He went the TOTAL WAR route. I suspect Bikram levels of fallout will result.
Par for the course for the Glass Man. He has epic showdowns with anyone who he perceived cross him. The man does not have a subtle or compromise or take the high road gene in his entire body.

Remember what he did to josh hillis?

I'm pretty sure shaf had some epic battles with him in the day. Dan John.....everyone.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

newguy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:46 pm
Bram wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:02 pm
Re-reading Glassman's response is even more disappointing after finishing Alyssa's long letter.

It's not a lot to offer some measure of empathy. He went the TOTAL WAR route. I suspect Bikram levels of fallout will result.
Par for the course for the Glass Man. He has epic showdowns with anyone who he perceived cross him. The man does not have a subtle or compromise or take the high road gene in his entire body.

Remember what he did to josh hillis?

I'm pretty sure shaf had some epic battles with him in the day. Dan John.....everyone.
I remember on the DD forum Tyler Haas of Power Ring fame was on there DEFENDING @Fit and Glassman, and made a comment about Glassman's "Gangster Limp" and Glassman went nuclear on Tyler.
I would have told that asshole to go die in a house fire.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 pm No, that was Josh:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&sid=9873dff78f ... 25#p378013
Damn, I could have sworn that was Tyler that got Glassman'ed on the limp comment. :Hangman:
I would say that Glassman and Orange Julius in the White House have about the same level of personality disorder.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:30 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 pm How much $$$ does this cost ya reckon?
Into the millions, bare minimum. Maybe tens of millions.
I'm pretty sure @Fit was on the down slope anyway, but this will ensure a fast circling of the drain. NOBODY will want to be associated with anything even remotely construed as racist now.
I do. I would like to be the CEO of a resurgent and acidic racism that embraces all aspects of life from cradle to grave.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

big_t2100
Corporal

Post by big_t2100 »

Well, it looks like "Nice Hole" has left...

https://imgur.com/a/yJwynCK

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 pm No, that was Josh:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&sid=9873dff78f ... 25#p378013
Wow, I remember reading that years ago, but that exchange has aged poorly. And lol at your picture of his thinking process Stephen
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

No shit has officially hit the fan until Castro calls it quits. When that guy jumps ship, it's game over, man.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

It's made the Wash Post sports page!

Reebok, gyms cut ties with CrossFit amid consumer demands for corporate action against racism
Corporate America is trying to show support for the Black Lives Matter movement, but businesses are under pressure to do more.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... rop-brand/
Within 48 hours of Glassman’s comment Saturday night, several gyms disassociated themselves from the CrossFit brand, the athletic apparel company Reebok ended its corporate sponsorship and Rogue Fitness, a supplier of equipment, said it would remove the company logo from a 2020 event.

Granted, there's not a lot else going on sports-wise. But that's part of the problem, too little "news" to pull the spotlight away.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:22 am
It's made the Wash Post sports page!

Reebok, gyms cut ties with CrossFit amid consumer demands for corporate action against racism
Corporate America is trying to show support for the Black Lives Matter movement, but businesses are under pressure to do more.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... rop-brand/
Within 48 hours of Glassman’s comment Saturday night, several gyms disassociated themselves from the CrossFit brand, the athletic apparel company Reebok ended its corporate sponsorship and Rogue Fitness, a supplier of equipment, said it would remove the company logo from a 2020 event.

Granted, there's not a lot else going on sports-wise. But that's part of the problem, too little "news" to pull the spotlight away.
I did a quick google search this morning for 'New Orleans,' expecting the news to be dominated by flooding from TS Cristobal-- I was surprised to see that @fit affiliates leaving teh good ship Bombay Sapphire being the second biggest news story.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:41 am No shit has officially hit the fan until Castro calls it quits. When that guy jumps ship, it's game over, man.
Glassman's pockets are lined with enough Gs for him to give any fucks.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Can Crossfit, as a corporate entity, sue Glassman for loss of revenues?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

God, so much worse. It's like Lauren got a Greg Glassman voodoo doll and just set it the fuck on fire.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... orge-floyd
“Can you tell me why I should mourn for him? Other than that it’s the white thing to do — other than that, give me another reason,” he asked a Minneapolis gym owner who had questioned why the brand hadn’t posted a statement
Glassman speculated that the nightclub where both Floyd and his alleged killer, former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, worked has “been under investigation by the FBI for over a decade for laundering money.”

“It's very interesting that George gets popped with counterfeits, and who comes but the head of security from the dance club? Watch: This thing's going to turn into first-degree murder,” he said. “That's what it's going to turn into. And it's going to be because I'm predicting this. We have friends in the FBI in your neighborhood, and they're of the view that this was first-degree murder and it was to silence him over the counterfeit money. That's the belief. That's what the cops think.”
During a lengthy discussion on the coronavirus, Glassman again shared more unfounded theories. “The Chinese let this virus get out of the laboratory, and that indeed did happen,” he said. (US intelligence officials have said they have not formally concluded whether the virus emerged from the Wuhan Institute of Virology.)

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

He's out.
https://www.crossfit.com/greg-glassman-retires

I can't help but think the senior leadership are hypocrites. Apart from the grandpa's-conspiracy-email-chain, this has all been pretty on brand for G.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

WTF I love Greg Glassman now?

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I say we invite Glassman here - this thread could be explained away.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:38 am He's out.
https://www.crossfit.com/greg-glassman-retires

I can't help but think the senior leadership are hypocrites. Apart from the grandpa's-conspiracy-email-chain, this has all been pretty on brand for G.
Hard to judge without knowing what his payday was. He may have planned this as a golden parachute.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Protobuilder wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:16 amI say we invite Glassman here - this thread could be explained away.
IronGregX new tagline: "Free Speech is not for Pussies but also not for Reebok or corporate America in general so you know you do you man but but keep it professional on conference calls you have a public profile now"

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I half hated GG until now. Now I hate some of you more. Way to pile on for political cover.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

The funny thing will be that maybe all those who left, they always knew they didnt need cf to exist. And with Rogue offering to put on the games without cf, there is really no need to go back. They have been liberated.
Other than if you really like the taste of boots. Many will stay, many will join, but its not the cool secret club anymore where they could say they admired the Black Box folks, but being part of the cult was still worth it. Truth is, most gen pop doesn't care and/or thinks anything with a barbell is cf.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King »

Remember brothers, The Couch preached "virtuosity" when it came to @fit. He merely practiced what he preached.
He was always virtuous to being an unfiltered asshole.

This whole tempest brought back my memories of defending Dan John personally to Couch only for him to utter the infamous line:

"Dan John has no squat."

14 years ago? Sheeeit. :partyman:
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

GG spewing absolute truths and logic to the masses. Going down in a blaze of glory. I love it.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

syaigh wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:31 am The funny thing will be that maybe all those who left, they always knew they didnt need cf to exist. And with Rogue offering to put on the games without cf, there is really no need to go back. They have been liberated.
Other than if you really like the taste of boots. Many will stay, many will join, but its not the cool secret club anymore where they could say they admired the Black Box folks, but being part of the cult was still worth it. Truth is, most gen pop doesn't care and/or thinks anything with a barbell is cf.
I’m wondering how many of those boxes will exist in three months either way. This shutdown can’t have been good to them, and a lot of the trainers might prefer to sit at home and collect their extra 600 in stimulus rather than work.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

If my math is correct, the couch saga has 35,025 posts and is still giving.
Whoever's going to write the unauthorized biography of Crossfit, will be mining this for sure.