No fuckin' thank you to sending US troops to Ukraine

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Most countries are facing a demographic cliff, and China and Russia in particular. But, that can cut both ways. Generals may look at the demographic trends and conclude that its futile, but then again, they may decide that NOW is the time to act while they still can.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

nafod wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:04 pm The war and occupation will be expensive and bloody
Well, technicaly speakeng, Russia already invaded Ukraine.
I mean Crimea.
And that wasn't bloody.

And seriously, on half Ukrainian teritory Russian army will be met like liberators.

But again, invasion is ridiculous.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:07 pm Most countries are facing a demographic cliff, and China and Russia in particular. But, that can cut both ways. Generals may look at the demographic trends and conclude that its futile, but then again, they may decide that NOW is the time to act while they still can.
You believe the demographic reports of population growth and or decline?

Who puts out these reports?

What kind of accuracy could they achieve in Africa?

I myself totally disregard them.

Well, not totally, I like to look at them like I do maps and laugh abd wonder what the reality is.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Wild Bill wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 pm
nafod wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:04 pm The war and occupation will be expensive and bloody
Well, technicaly speakeng, Russia already invaded Ukraine.
I mean Crimea.
And that wasn't bloody.

And seriously, on half Ukrainian teritory Russian army will be met like liberators.

But again, invasion is ridiculous.
The reason for invading the Crimea was strategic, if I can think of any. A NATO military base on that peninsula would be a serious threat. And it was also swift with no possible military support from nearby. Even if NATO decided to push the Russians out the logistics would be problematic. The closest territory at the time was Eastern Ukraine with full scale fighting going on, so the support would only be possible from the sea.

But then again, all we see politically is the small tip of a giant iceberg, and we have truly no idea about the reasoning behind these kind of decisions. In 1941 Hitler attacked USSR, which was overwhelmingly better armed and had a massively larger army, and only in recent decade it became known that it was an act of desperation with a small chance of winning. Several years preceding the war are truly fascinating from political point of view.

So who knows what's going on behind the scenes and what is brewing.

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I think Hitler was trying to lose the war. It was his revenge upon Germany for having put him in jail after the Beer Hall Putsch. Maybe he was already angry before that. If I'm right it would explain his many blunders.

We will never know the real reason why something was done. The more I read history, the more layers I see. So many lies and cover stories, many of them believed by reputable sources who should know better.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

The invasion is cancelled.
Zelensky said that the Russian invasion of Ukraine is a rumor.
And these rumors are spread by the enemies of Ukraine.

Perhaps this fool is beginning to realize that the Americans are simply using him.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Wild Bill wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 am Perhaps this fool is beginning to realize that the Americans are simply using him.
I assure you we are gentlemen.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Wild Bill wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 am
Perhaps this fool is beginning to realize that the Americans are simply using him.
These kind of remarks are most entertaining for me. Obviously, the average newspaper reader of TV news spectator understands the intricacies of international politics better and in advance of high level politician. Someone who has enough machiavellian qualities to climb to the top, who shakes hands with other presidents and prime ministers. Can't he see, those Americans are simply using him? We can!

At the beginning of the Syrian war I had a conversation with an Iraqi friend. He told me, Americans just don't understand who they are supporting! The average Iraqi obviously does.

This goes back to Edward Bernays and his quote:
If we examine the mental furniture of the average man," says William Trotter, the author of a comprehensive study of the social psychology of the individual,' "we shall find it made up of a vast number of judgments of a very precise kind upon subjects of very great variety, complexity, and difficulty. He will have fairly settled views upon the origin and nature of the universe, and upon what he will probably call its meaning; he will have conclusions as to what is to happen to him at death and after, as to what is and what should be the basis of conduct. He will know how the country should be governed, and why it is going to the dogs, why this piece of legislation is good and that bad. He will have strong views upon military and naval strategy, the principles of taxation, the use of alcohol and vaccination, the treatment of influenza, the prevention of hydrophobia, upon municipal trading, the teaching of Greek, upon what is permissible in art, satisfactory in literature, and hopeful in science. "The bulk of such opinions must necessarily be without rational basis, since many of them are concerned with problems admitted by the expert to be still unsolved, while as to the rest it is clear that the training and experience of no average man can qualify him to have any opinion upon them at all. The rational method adequately used would have told him that on the great majority of these questions there could be for him but one attitude-that of suspended judgment."

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

You Russbois would understand the US much better if you understood that the "average American" and the people who set American foreign policy are not the same group of people. The former has no understanding of global complexities but, no matter, neither do they have any power. The latter understands more of the complexities, but has no allegiance to the former and is in direct competition with them. That is why American foreign policy does not serve the interests of the "average American".

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Sangoma wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 pm This goes back to Edward Bernays and his quote:
If we examine the mental furniture of the average man," says William Trotter, the author of a comprehensive study of the social psychology of the individual,' "we shall find it made up of a vast number of judgments of a very precise kind upon subjects of very great variety, complexity, and difficulty. He will have fairly settled views upon the origin and nature of the universe, and upon what he will probably call its meaning; he will have conclusions as to what is to happen to him at death and after, as to what is and what should be the basis of conduct. He will know how the country should be governed, and why it is going to the dogs, why this piece of legislation is good and that bad. He will have strong views upon military and naval strategy, the principles of taxation, the use of alcohol and vaccination, the treatment of influenza, the prevention of hydrophobia, upon municipal trading, the teaching of Greek, upon what is permissible in art, satisfactory in literature, and hopeful in science. "The bulk of such opinions must necessarily be without rational basis, since many of them are concerned with problems admitted by the expert to be still unsolved, while as to the rest it is clear that the training and experience of no average man can qualify him to have any opinion upon them at all. The rational method adequately used would have told him that on the great majority of these questions there could be for him but one attitude-that of suspended judgment."
That's a beautiful quote.

I heard it referred to as Male Opinion Syndrome. No matter the profoundness of the ignorance, there is an opinion.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:06 am
Sangoma wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 pm This goes back to Edward Bernays and his quote:
That's a beautiful quote.

I heard it referred to as Male Opinion Syndrome. No matter the profoundness of the ignorance, there is an opinion.
You are, quite literally, expressing a baseless opinion right now.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

The Fat Cat speaks true. I have no taste for global discourse. I'll leave that to the big-brains. I just know what the regular asshole thinks. And it sure as shit ain't about Russia or Ukraine. You guy can hash it out as you see fit. Show up @ my addy, it's a different story.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:09 am You Russbois would understand the US much better if you understood that the "average American" and the people who set American foreign policy are not the same group of people. The former has no understanding of global complexities but, no matter, neither do they have any power. The latter understands more of the complexities, but has no allegiance to the former and is in direct competition with them. That is why American foreign policy does not serve the interests of the "average American".
My post was referring to WIld Bill's remark. Complete agree with the above, and it is probably true for the majority of countries.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Sangoma wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:46 am Complete agree with the above, and it is probably true for the majority of countries.
You've been around the block, you know how this world works.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Wild Bill wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:58 am I predict that in about a month, when invasion still not happened, Biden will make a loud statement about a diplomatic victory.
That it was only thanks to him that the invasion did not happen.
If it stops a war, I'll take it.

I have an allergy to being irradiated.
Last edited by Gene on Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like yourself too much.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Heard a Soviet era nuclear war joke at work.

"Why are solders advised to hold their rifles out at arm's length during a nuclear strike?"

"To keep the melting steel from damaging their boots".

We had a similar joke on our side.

"What do you do when you see a Soviet reentry vehicle coming at you?"

"Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye".
Don't like yourself too much.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

How much of this is a "wag the dog" thing to bump the cost of a barrel of oil? How much $$$$ does $100/barrel oil put into Russia's economy?

Or, does this situation give Sleepy a chance to get a great diplomatic win so he looks like a savior prior to the midterms?

I guess we'll find out next week according to the New York Post.

Maybe Vlad really does mean business but I 100% hope he doesn't. War just seems too dumb of a move for Putin. Imminent fear of war feels profitable.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

As far as I remember, they also promised an invasion for Christmas.
As for the rest, Putin has so far always done what he said.

The problem is that Russa do not talking about Ukraine at all. Russia has demands about American bases in Eastern Europe, but the American press has invented some kind of invasion of Ukraine.
If there is an invasion, then Ukraine will clearly not be the main target.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

It's just that the situation is already such that Russia has no choice left.
They are already talking about some kind of preventive sanctions :)
just because Russia still exists :)

Well, perhaps the situation is already such that only a military response remains.
Another option is the destruction of Russia. And if destruction threatens so, then in the war there are at least some chances.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Of course, I'm joking mostly, but perhaps the general staff has information that I don't know.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Maybe Nafod's dream will finally come true :)

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

No invasion, no war. It’s pretty simple.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

nafod wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:30 pm No invasion, no war. It’s pretty simple.
Then why there was not war after Crimea?
Or that was not true invasion? :)

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Wild Bill wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:49 pm
WB is there any domestic propaganda in RUS about the Ukraine? Every Euro and US reporter who is in RUS says there is none. Nothing preparing RUS public for any kind of military action.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Wild Bill wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:49 pm
Big difference between invading Crimea and taking the capitol of Ukraine.