Trump's Acceptance Speech...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Trump's Acceptance Speech...

Post by TerryB »

I don't like the ugly racial undertones of folks labeling Trump's speech, "dark."
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

I think they meant "dark" in the sense of "not too bright."

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

seeahill wrote:I think they meant "dark" in the sense of "not too bright."
Shut your mouth. Trump knows all the big words.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Trump is a fear-monger. He appeals to fear, hatred of the other, us versus them, and mixes it in with a stew of vague promises to restore law and order, rearrange world security and the economy to America's dictates, and restrict the civil liberties of those who get in our way.

Hillary's e-mail program was reckless, but she is smart, experienced, and moderate-left.

Unless you want a spiraling-down economy from trade wars, a world careening on major power war, and an authoritarian state racially on fire, choice is easy

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Hebrew Hammer wrote:Trump is a fear-monger. He appeals to fear, hatred of the other, us versus them, and mixes it in with a stew of vague promises to restore law and order, rearrange world security and the economy to America's dictates, and restrict the civil liberties of those who get in our way.

Hillary's e-mail program was reckless, but she is smart, experienced, and moderate-left.

Unless you want a spiraling-down economy from trade wars, a world careening on major power war, and an authoritarian state racially on fire, choice is easy
That's pretty fear-mongery.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Hebrew Hammer wrote: a world careening on major power war, and an authoritarian state racially on fire, choice is easy
Pretty much Hillary's record as Secretary of State.

I'll break out the well-used and never-answered: Name three accomplishments of Secretary Hillary Clinton.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

johno wrote:
Hebrew Hammer wrote: a world careening on major power war, and an authoritarian state racially on fire, choice is easy

I'll break out the well-used and never-answered: Name three accomplishments of Secretary Hillary Clinton.
1. She gave Republicans control of the House for the first time since the Depression.
2. Created a failed state in Libya.
3. She totally reassured Putin that the US wants a solid relationship with Russia.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:
johno wrote:

1. She gave Republicans control of the House for the first time since the Depression.
2. Created a failed state in Libya.
3. She totally reassured Putin that the US wants a solid relationship with Russia.
Who could ever imagine that Khaddafi would represent the good old days in Libya, that Assad would probably be the best of Syria's bad choices, and that America would be funding Iran's terrorist contributions. They had one policy goal; "don't do stupid shit". Oops.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Hebrew Hammer wrote:Trump is a fear-monger. He appeals to fear, hatred of the other, us versus them, and mixes it in with a stew of vague promises to restore law and order, rearrange world security and the economy to America's dictates, and restrict the civil liberties of those who get in our way.

That is a great response, and on target.

So let me be more boring and lawyer-like. In your heart of hearts - (i) What do you think the world's response will be to Trump's announcing on day 1 he's renegotiating trade agreements to make America First? (ii) What do you think China's, Russia's, North Korea's, Turkey's, and Pakistan's response will be to Trump's announcing on day 1 that America is pulling back on security commitments unless others pay up, and our foreign policy now makes America First?

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

johno wrote:

That's a fair question, but I don't know if it's meaningful. The last secretary of state I recall that had accomplishments, whether you liked them or not, was Henry Kissinger. He was in some ways a co-president. Kissinger in some ways, though was at the end of Pax Americana, when American really had a unilateral say in the world. That may have ended with Vietnam.Other than Kissinger, secretaries of state carry out the administration's policy - they use diplomacy to try to make it work.

This is a messy time. I'm not a Bush-basher. I think he made reasonable choices at the time based on what we knew. But regardless of what he did, this stage of history is the unraveling of the Islamic world created after WW1. No one is going to fix it. It will take patience, strength, engagement, and vision to contain it, mitigate the harms, and keep it from engulfing the world in flames. I think Obama became too disengaged, but that was his policy, not hers.

Anyway, she was Secretary of State during dangerous times, she knows world leaders and understands the fragility of the world and the extraordinary effort it takes to keep it from disaster. That's food experience and a good quality for a President to have.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

Hebrew Hammer wrote: this stage of history is the unraveling of the Islamic world created after WW1
. . . the islamic world with boundaries created arbitrarily by the west, maintained for a time by brutal authoritarian regimes

at whose feet do you lay the post-colonial disintegration of the middle east?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

dead man walking wrote:
Hebrew Hammer wrote: this stage of history is the unraveling of the Islamic world created after WW1
. . . the islamic world with boundaries created arbitrarily by the west, maintained for a time by brutal authoritarian regimes

at whose feet do you lay the post-colonial disintegration of the middle east?
From a causation standpoint, the West plays a major role in this drama, but I don't see it as evil. From a moral standpoint, the Arab Islamic culture froze for centuries while the rest of the world modernized, and then adopted political jihadi Islam. That is what led to the modern crisis. For an easy contrast, India is a prosperous, thriving democracy, though it went through the same colonialism.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:Which would you rather? Instigate Russia in a face to face fight, or allow them to fuck you in the ass?
I'm a lover, not a fighter.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

Hebrew Hammer wrote:From a causation standpoint, the West plays a major role in this drama, but I don't see it as evil. From a moral standpoint, the Arab Islamic culture froze for centuries while the rest of the world modernized, and then adopted political jihadi Islam. That is what led to the modern crisis. For an easy contrast, India is a prosperous, thriving democracy, though it went through the same colonialism.
and africa?

curious, not argumentative.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:Which would you rather? Instigate Russia in a face to face fight, or allow them to fuck you in the ass?
Anyone who has paid attention to the Russian economy over the last couple years knows there's a third choice, and that the Russian's haven't enjoyed it.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

dead man walking wrote:
Hebrew Hammer wrote:From a causation standpoint, the West plays a major role in this drama, but I don't see it as evil. From a moral standpoint, the Arab Islamic culture froze for centuries while the rest of the world modernized, and then adopted political jihadi Islam. That is what led to the modern crisis. For an easy contrast, India is a prosperous, thriving democracy, though it went through the same colonialism.
and africa?

curious, not argumentative.
I don't know African history well, but it seems like Western and Arab colonialism was much more harmful and exploitive there. But again culture seems to make a big difference - Anglo and Christian culture seems to be a marker for modernizing and success.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Hebrew Hammer wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:

So let me be more boring and lawyer-like. In your heart of hearts - (i) What do you think the world's response will be to Trump's announcing on day 1 he's renegotiating trade agreements to make America First? (ii) What do you think China's, Russia's, North Korea's, Turkey's, and Pakistan's response will be to Trump's announcing on day 1 that America is pulling back on security commitments unless others pay up, and our foreign policy now makes America First?
I think most of them will be rational actors. If the bank says it's time to fulfill your mortgage obligations, "or else", most people will work to fulfill those obligations. Could be the very best thing that's happened to NATO ever.

Or the exact opposite. That's the attractor/repeller of someone willing to kick out the jams

Now a question for you, are you not convinced that Hillary is the most venal and corrupt potential president of the modern era? If you're not concerned that the Clinton Foundation and their "speeches" aren't corruption personified, you're not paying attention or deliberately blind.

Regarding our international relationships, do you want an actor who's supported multiple international debacles vs. a clean slate?

This binary choice is not as clear as you want it to look.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Hebrew Hammer wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:

I think most of them will be rational actors. If the bank says it's time to fulfill your mortgage obligations, "or else", most people will work to fulfill those obligations. Could be the very best thing that's happened to NATO ever.

Or the exact opposite. That's the attractor/repeller of someone willing to kick out the jams

Now a question for you, are you not convinced that Hillary is the most venal and corrupt potential president of the modern era? If you're not concerned that the Clinton Foundation and their "speeches" aren't corruption personified, you're not paying attention or deliberately blind.

Regarding our international relationships, do you want an actor who's supported multiple international debacles vs. a clean slate?

This binary choice is not as clear as you want it to look.
As far as crookedness goes, Jimmy Carter was honest as the day is long and was probably the worst president in the second half of the second century. Nixon was a crook and wasn't so bad as a president. JFK, Johnson, Reagan, all flouted some serious rules, but were OK presidents. That's not a brief in favor of crookedness, but it's a reflection that democracy is a messy process and unflinching honesty in itself doesn't make a great President.

Hillary's flouting of the rules seems to involve secrecy and greed. In the big picture, I'm willing to live with that,

The mortgage analogy and NATO is a good one. The difference is that the bank has a mortgage, takes back the property and sells it. That's capitalism. With alliances, they fray, members start looking elsewhere for friends or decide they need a nuclear deterrent.

Hillary's foreign policy has been consistent with the consensus foreign policy of Republicans and Democrats. With what we know now, nearly every Senator and Congressman erred in the Iraq vote. Apart from that, we can't fix the Middle East, we can only try to contain the harm and work long-term (decades) for stability. I actually think Hillary's biggest misjudgment as the SOS was her reset with Russia. But she's seen that's a mistake.

Trump isn't a clean slate. He's an isolationist and protectionist (except for wiping out ISIS). Give the man credit that he means what he says.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

HH,,,,Look around you. The voters in this country want to kick some serious ass and Trump is promising that for them. I'm disappointed that you're still defending the Dems even after the shambles they've left us with all the foreign and domestic policies.... Are you voting for Hillary anyway??
You wrote a book on negotiating contracts. Couldn't you have done much better than those peckerheads did with Iran?
I can't forgive you. Not even if you send me more care packages.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Andy82 wrote:HH,,,,Look around you. The voters in this country want to kick some serious ass and Trump is promising that for them. I'm disappointed that you're still defending the Dems even after the shambles they've left us with all the foreign and domestic policies.... Are you voting for Hillary anyway??
You wrote a book on negotiating contracts. Couldn't you have done much better than those peckerheads did with Iran?
I can't forgive you. Not even if you send me more care packages.
I suppose you've probably petitioned your trailer park to change is name to Trump Gardens.

What about your girlfriend having to resign from the DNC? She's even meaner than you. That's a nasty picture thinking of her going at it with you in the sheets and wearing a strap-on, forcing you to say over and over again, "In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope."

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Since I was in second grade, I've never been wrong on predicting the next president. It has nothing to do with issues, policies and psychoanalysis of candidates. I'm batting totally 1000! At the end of this coming week I will tell you who our next prez will be.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Hebrew Hammer wrote: Give the man credit that he means what he says.
Not sure this is possible as he says one thing one day and changes his mind and says the exact opposite the next day.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Pretty impressive editorial. I'm a little surprised we've had zero elected Republicans endorse Hillary.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Pretty impressive editorial. I'm a little surprised we've had zero elected Republicans endorse Hillary.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
You're surprised they haven't endorsed a Democratic candidate with a majority unfavorable rating who would never qualify for another security clearance through the normal process?

Both of the major-party candidates are "uniquely unqualified to serve as president, in experience and temperament."
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."